01 Feb Super Game Day Recipes!
We all know that Super Bowl Sunday is not just about the game—it’s about the food. But pass on the store-bought snacks and take-out food—they’re loaded with fat and sodium. If having a multitude of friends over add a few healthy/vegetarian homemade game day recipes for variety and taste. Try adding these easy Super Bowl recipes which pack less than half the calories and fat of traditional versions of Super Bowl favorites. My healthy and vegetarian Ground Vegan Beef Tacos with Blue Corn Tortilla Shells and Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sliders with Chimichurri and Swiss are so delicious and enjoyable you can mix them in with your other party table favorites. Regardless of who wins the game, you’ll score points among your fellow fans with these healthy Super Bowl recipes.
Ground Vegan Beef Tacos with Crispy Blue Corn Tortilla Shells
- 1 pkg. Yves, Vegan Meatless Ground
- ½ Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Scallion, Finely Chopped
- ½ Bu. Cilantro, Chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp. Granulated Garlic
- 1 Jalapeno Chile, Seeded and Chopped Fine
- ¼ c Shredded Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- 6 GARDEN OF EATIN’ Blue Corn Taco Shells
- Organic Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper
In a large sautee pan add the EVO, onion, jalapeno, ground meatless, scallion, cilantro, taco seasonings and water. Simmer together until the meat is browned and the flavors are well blended together (about 5-8 minutes). Salt and pepper to taste. Fill the taco shells with the mixture, the cheese, lettuce, prepared guacamole and salsa.
Grilled Baby Portobello Mushroom Sliders with Chimichurri and Swiss
- 6 Baby Portobello Mushrooms, Cleaned and Stems Removed
- 1/2 Lb. Fresh Arugula Lettuce
- 1/2 c. Garlic-Aioli (prepared)
- 4 Slices Jarlsberg Swiss Cheese (cut small to fit the mushroom tops)
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, Sliced
- 1/2 c. Chimichurri Sauce (prepared)
- 6 Mini Burger Buns (or) Seeded Dinner Rolls
On a hot indoor or outdoor grill, place the chimichurri marinated portobello mushrooms and grill for about 8-10 minutes. Remove and place on warmed mini burger buns that have garlic-aioli spread. Top with roma tomatoes, swiss cheese and arugula, top with another warmed mini burger bun with garlic-aioli and serve with a 4″inch wooden stick to hold together. Enjoy!
- 1 c. Flat Leaf Parsley, Coarsely Chopped
- 1 c. Cilantro Leaves, Coarsely Chopped
- 2 Garlic Pods, Fine Chopped
- ½ c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs. Sherry Vinegar
- ¼ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp. Sugar (optional)
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
In a food processor add the parsley, cilantro, garlic , sugar and sherry vinegar. With the motor running stream in the olive oil and pulse until medium chunked and well blended. You can also use a powerful blender. Pour the mixture into a bowl, add the red pepper flakes salt and pepper.
Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. You may also prepare this sauce by hand using a knife and cutting board. Great served on steak, chicken, Portobello mushrooms, grilled vegetables and rustic breads. Enjoy!